As you can probably guess from the title it’s time for another List It Tuesday. And as you can also probably tell, I’m sick! I’ve gotten hit by an awful energy zapping, head clogging, feels like it’s going to stay around forever cold. It crept up on me over the day yesterday and by last night I was dead to the world! It’s hard to be a mom and be sick. Not only do you need to take care of yourself but you also have to take care of your family. So what’s a mom to do?? Here’s a list of things I do (and don’t do!) when I’m sick.
1) I allow myself to stay in my PJs all day! I’m not a PJ wearing SAHM. I don’t even allow myself to stay in sweats or yoga pants all day. I get up every day and get dressed, including jewelry most days. I just feel more productive when I’m dressed for the day. On sick days, I allow myself a pass to stay comfy. My kids who are at home will probably be in their jammies too. Getting everybody dressed just takes too much energy!
2) I open the door and the blinds and curtains and let the sun light in. Nothing makes you feel worse than being stuck in a dark house all day. Let the sunshine in! Unless of course you have a migraine…then keep those suckers closed tight!
3) I give myself a pass on house cleaning, with a few exceptions. I try to keep up with the dishes. And if I feel really bad I pull out the disposables for a few days. I try to keep the floor vacuumed and swept. There is nothing worse than stumbling to the kitchen for another cup of tea only to step on a noodle from last night’s dinner! I try to stay on top of the kids with their toys, especially in the living room. If the playroom stays trashed for a few days…who cares! It’s a playroom!
4) Meals become super simple! Last night I pulled out the bags of frozen chicken tenders and fries. I heated up the fryer and dinner was ready in less than 10 minutes. And you know what? I didn’t feel the least bit guilty about it! If I had felt this coming on maybe I could have taken out meat and put something in the crockpot but meh! Who’s that good?!?! Tonight will probably be a texting-hubby-to-pick-up-drive-through-on-his-way-home-because-I-just-can’t-think-of-anything-else kind of night! And I’m OK with that!
5) The kids watch way too much TV and play way too many video games. I watch way too much TV and spend way too much time on the computer. And you know what? I won’t feel guilty about that either!
6) I drink a lot of OJ and herb tea because it makes me feel better.
7) I sleep when I can. Even it’s just a little snooze on the couch while the kids are playing blocks or watching Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Those little catnaps can make such a difference for me.
8) I let go of the guilt! We all get sick! We all need to take that time to be kind to ourselves! It’s OK for the house to not be up to our standards for a few days. It’s OK for the meals to be out of the ordinary. It’s OK for the kids to have a few days of TV overindulgence. It’s OK! Let it go! And get better soon!!